Guys, keeping up with this blog has been ROUGH. My life just doesn’t seem to quit!
About a month ago, I started a new job finally in the city I live in. It’s been a great change of pace, but I’m still struggling to get used to the long days. It’s nice to have a reason to leave the house, but sometimes I just want to slowly get up and start my day. Hopefully I’ll get fully acclimated soon.
Anyway, so far this year has been amazing. After buying our house in Seattle, Corbin and I immediately dived into our first big renovation…the kitchen. IT IS THE BEST KITCHEN. Now after learning that my husband is even handier than I expected (no surprise there), I am more excited to keep the momentum going on house projects. Check my instagram for pictures and updates (@grainandsimple)!!
So, with the changes in my life and increase in exercising…I decided to make these protein bars. I’ve been doing Fitmob (check ’em out if you have it in your area…it’s literally changed my life) and through this program I’ve been trying things I’ve never been motivated enough to do before. This is super exciting because I’m staying in good shape and learning some kickass stuff in the meantime! An average week typically includes: crossfit, boxing, strength training (intervals, weight lifting and/ or cardio), yoga, and/ or cycling. I AM AN EATING MACHINE. So…this leads back to the creation of protein bars because I need more protein in my life.
These bars are painfully easy and store for a week in the fridge or freezer, so they’re great to make on the weekends to have on hand during your busy week!
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder (I used Vega…25 grams of protein per scoop, yo!)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- pinch of salt
- dark chocolate, melted
1. In a large bowl, mix all ingredients except for the melted chocolate.
2. In a 9×14 (or similar sized) dish lined with parchment paper, pour in the mixture and spread evenly.
3. Drizzle the melted chocolate on top.
4. Cover and freeze for up to an hour, or until bars are nice and firm.
5. Remove from freezer, cut into bars and enjoy immediately or as-needed from the freezer.