I literally talked a few days ago about being healthy and then I made these??!!!
I guess there’s always time for chocolate in my book!
Are any of you as freaked out as I am that Christmas is only TWO weeks away?
It sneaks up on me more and more as I get older and I feel like it’s also more challenging for me to get into the Christmas spirit.
This year is especially strange for me because I’ll be 3,000 miles away from my family. My first Christmas away from home. That just sounds weird. I want to say that it makes me sad, and it does to an extent, but I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that Seattle is just…different. It’s dark almost all day and it’s not cold. It’s just…odd. Granted, I’ll get to go skiing/snowboarding whenever I want, but it’s still different.
Anyway, I decided to try and get festive by baking and this is what I came up with. Besides, who doesn’t love some salty with their sweet?!
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (or coconut oil if you enjoy that flavor better)
- 1/2 cup cane sugar or honey
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, plus extra to sprinkle on top if you’d like!
- 1 tsp baking soda mixed in 1 Tbsp hot water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips (these are most allergy-friendly)
1. With an electric mixer, mix the oil and sugar.
2. Add the eggs one at a time.
3. Add the flour, cocoa, and sea salt and mix well.
4. Add the baking soda and vanilla.
5. Stir in the chocolate chips.
6. Refrigerate dough for at least an hour to get it to thicken (my dough was runny before this step).
7. Preheat the oven to 350.
8. Scoop tablespoon-sized scoops of dough on a lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt if desired.
9. Bake for about 10 minutes then let cool.