I’ve been such a slacker.
Almost a month since my last post? Embarrassing.
Life gets crazy, though.
Anyway, now that I’m back in town after visiting my family for Thanksgiving, I’m ready to get back to creating.
This week I’m still feeling holiday cheer..and I LOVE holiday flavor combinations. Not to mention the excellent produce at the store.
Grapefruit and fennel is one of my favorite combos. I can’t get over the citrus. UGH.
This salad is super simple and can be made different ways. PS the nuts are from someone else, but I don’t know their name! Credit where credit is due, my friend, I apologize for the lack of info there!
You like bacon or prosciutto? Cool. You like a different dressing? Cool. Mix. It. Up.
I’m kind of at a lack for words today.
After hours of traveling on Monday and an insanely busy day after picking up my dogs (YAAAAYYYYY) yesterday, I’m pooped.
NOT TO MENTION….I almost wrecked my car on black ice today. I love snow, but dang son that sh*t was terrifying.
Thankfully, the car I almost ran into stopped and the only place to move forward was an empty parking lot. Glad the gate was open. Sheesh. Hashtag blessed because I came home and ate this delicious salad.
For the salad:
- 1 package of mixed greens (I used baby kale and spinach)
- 1/4 grapefruit, peeled and segmented
- 1/2 fennel, chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar (I used a cinnamon holiday balsamic)
- salt and pepper
- bacon, only if you want
For the spiced nuts:
- 4 cups pecans
- 1/2 tsp Stevia powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1 egg white
1. For the nuts. Preheat oven to 400.
2. In a bowl, whisk the egg white until it’s frothy.
3. Add the nuts and mix well.
4. Mix the spices in a separate bowl. Add to the nuts and mix well.
5. On a parchment paper lined baking sheet, spread the nuts out evenly and bake 4-5 minutes.
6. Mix the olive oil, balsamic, and salt and pepper.
7. Mix the greens, fennel, grapefruit, and nuts. Top with bacon if you’d like!