Someone the other day posted a link to a Buzzfeed article on Pinterest with something like 30 different varieties of grilled cheeses. One of them was a blueberry grilled cheese and I immediately went to the store to buy ingredients.
This week is obviously an exiting week because..
1. Three day weekend.
2. 4th of July.
3. It’s my bday on Saturday.
So…I normally don’t post recipes that have to do with holidays because, let’s be honest, I’m not Mrs. Sally Homemaker that always entertains or has places to go.
I’ve decided that’s ridiculous reasoning because holiday recipes are super popular and, well, more for me!
I’m actually chuckling to myself as I type this because I literally made this sandwich on a whim today, loved it, and am already blogging about it. Food is so weird.
Anyway, I made this sandwich appear to be having a jolly good time by throwing colorful patriotic berries on it. Why not? Honestly, I think these would make cute little finger sandwiches for a party! Try it with raspberries on the side; it’s delicious!
Disclaimer–This is a single-serve recipe. It would be super easy to double or triple for others!
- 2 slices of your favorite gluten-free bread
- handful of blueberries (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar + 1 tsp balsamic glaze
- pinch of coconut sugar
- 1 tsp (or more) of organic unsalted butter
- handful of spinach leaves
- 1 oz sliced goat gouda cheese, or your favorite hard goat cheese
1. Heat a small skillet on medium heat. Add the blueberries, sugar, and balsamic vinegar and glaze.
2. Bring the berries to a boil and smash with a spoon, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes.
3. Remove the berries from the heat and assemble your sandwich: berries, spinach, cheese.
4. Heat a large skillet with butter and once the butter has melted, place the sandwich on top.
5. Cook each side until browned, about 2-3 minutes.