On this Cinco de Mayo, Battle of Puebla, or whatever day you’re celebrating, I’m not going the traditional route.
Sorry, no margaritas or crunchy tacos here.
Today, my friends, it’s all about the salad.
I am less than three weeks away from my first race of the year, a 10K, and I’m getting to the point where I have to be really meticulous with my diet. If I don’t I experience a hellish run, like the 6.63 miles I ran on Saturday, where my entire digestive system is crying for help.
Not today. Today I eat salad.
In this whole weather getting warmer workouts getting longer phase, I’m really craving more greens with an edge of salt.
I decided to go mediterranean with this dish and I must say, it hits the spot.
It’s light and refreshing with the right amount of healthy fats, protein, and carbs. Try it after your next workout!
- 3 cups chopped kale and rainbow chard
- 1/2 15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp chopped sundried tomatoes in olive oil, strained
- 5 artichoke hearts (marinated), chopped
- 3 Tbsp chopped kalamata olives, chopped
- a splash of good balsamic vinegar (if you choose)
1. Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Serve immediately or refrigerate before serving.
Now how’s that for an easy meal?!