You all remember it.
I know I do.
That craving that hits at about 2 am when you’re in college.
That’s right. I used to eat meat from a meat tube.
How the times have changed!
About a month ago, I was doing my weekly menu planning and my husband requested quesadillas for dinner one night.
Still not being able to digest beef, I asked if ground turkey would be ok with him. He said yes.
So, the night comes for us to make said quesadillas and after I season the meat, my husband took control of the actual quesadilla formation and cooking. (My hands are really small and flipping large items on a skillet gives me major anxiety.)
We sit down to eat.
“These quesadillas taste like taco bell!”
“Woah, you’re kind of right!”
So…are we geniuses? Probably not. But, we have created a healthy quesadilla that tastes like taco bell. No toilet necessary. BAM.
- 1 lb ground turkey meat (I use as lean as I can find, but feel free to choose differently!)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- drizzle of olive oil
- brown rice tortillas
- 1 Tbsp organic butter
- 1 oz raw cheese (I used Organic Raw Sharp Mozzarella), sliced
- a little extra garlic powder for the butter
1. Heat a large skillet on medium heat with a drizzle of olive oil.
2. Add the ground turkey.
3. As the turkey browns, stir to make sure it doesn’t stick to the pan.
4. Once the turkey has almost completely browned, add all of the spices and mix well. Add more to taste if necessary.
5. In a separate smaller skillet, add the butter and extra garlic powder to coat the pan.
6. Place the tortilla and layer with the cooked turkey and sliced cheese.
7. Fold the tortilla in half and cook about 3 minutes on each side or until browned.
8. Remove from heat and cut in to triangles. I serve mine with spinach, fire roasted salsa, and sliced avocado.