These burgers were so $$%^&$#% good!
I had a hankering for something fried, but decided to go the healthy route with these incredible baked onion rings and homemade barbeque sauce. The onion rings will be good the next day, so I like to heat them back up and dip them in the sauce. I doubt you’ll be disappointed!
For the burgers you will need:
- 1 lb ground turkey, salt and pepper, and garlic powder
For the BBQ:
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 gloves minced garlic
- 1 cup all-natural ketchup
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/3 brown sugar/ honey (I did half and half so that the sugar content wouldn’t be too high)
- 4 T white vinegar
- 1 T worcestershire sauce (I used Annies)
- salt to taste
Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the garlic and let brown. Reduce the heat to low and add ketchup, molasses, brown sugar/honey, vinegar, worcestershire, and salt. Simmer for 20 minutes.
For the onion rings:
- 2 large onions, peeled and sliced thin
- 1/2 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup “Buttermilk” (curdled almond milk: 1/2 c almond milk with 1 T apple cider vinegar–let curdle for 15 mins)
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp total of: cayenne pepper, paprika, and garlic powder
- salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 425. Get three mixing bowls. In the first one add half of the flour. In the second bowl add the rest of the flour with the milk and egg. In the third bowl add the breadcrumbs, seasoning, and salt and pepper. Form an assembly line with the sliced onion adding them in each bowl sequentially. When you are finished, lay the rings on a lined baking sheet. Bake for 12-16 minutes or until slightly golden.
Cook the burgers, top with sauce, then onion rings. Dress with your favorite condiments and have lots of napkins ready. You’ll be messy, but you’ll be begging for more!